about me

My photo
I love Classic Rock and The Blues, old houses and antique stained glass.  I like walks in the woods, nature photography, and looking at the stars. 

Saturday, April 11, 2009

A Squirrel Tale

Ever been blessed out by a squirrel? I received a true tongue lashing the other day.

I had a tree cut down that was too close to the house and was also rotten in the core. The squirrels were at a loss. They had been used to being able to jump from the back porch straight into the tree limbs. It was a huge hackberry, full of bird and squirrel holes and hideaways. I did hate to see it go, but it was necessary. The squirrels did not share my feelings however, and let me know it.

I apologized profusely, but the tree had to go. After all is said and done, I deserved the tongue lashing and tail twitching fury, but I do have plenty of other trees in the yard and they will adjust.

We live in concert with our wildlife friends, so I do feel quilt. I will never forget the frantic pacing back and forth, and the desperate look of "what happened to my tree." I feel the loss as well, but I know it was the right decision...no matter how much it upset the squirrels. I know they won't have to go far to reestablish their home...and I can keep my home safe from a tree way past its prime.

No comments: